Lisa Simpson behind the feminist mask
The character I chose is Lisa Simpsons, the middle sister in a family of five. The Simpsons is a typical american family that passed through typical american situations. On the series, Lisa are the classic young girl, who fights for different rights, that can be human rights, against the animal abuse, for the environment, sometimes the feminist cause and others.
I started to see The Simpsons at age of nine or ten, so I can say that I have some knowledge about the series. Through the years I could note some sexist behavior from part of Lisa and from other members of her family. For example that sometimes she represent attitudes that are socially associated to women, like wear dresses, or play with dolls, or don't practice any sport, etcetera.
As well as Lisa has sexist behaviors, her family has too. The familiar structure are patriarchal, the men goes to work, the wife stays at home and prepares the breakfast for all the family in the morning, the brother ride skateboard and the sister play an instrument, even if we don't want to assume this, The Simpsons complies with all the typical patriarchal behaviors.

Comentarios
Publicar un comentario